WALTER has been writing grinding history since 1919. WALTER has developed from a small enterprise into an internationally active company with around 600 staff. Walter Maschinenbau GmbH owes its position in the market to the wealth of experience it has gained from years of serving its customers needs. Its former pioneering spirit is also reflected in its present-day products, and is impressively demonstrated by the quality and quantity of its innovations.
Founding of the company by Richard Walter in Düsseldorf under the name Walter Montanwerke.
Just four years later Richard Walteralso acquires a small company in Tübingen and produces metal tools at both locations.
- In 1924 the company's headquarters are relocated to Tübingen.
- 1926 sees the first patents for cemented carbide filed, the latter being sold under the name of "Dynit". After transferring certain patents to the company Krupp in Essen, it is agreed that Krupp is to no longer manufacture coaxial precision tools. Focus moves to the production of milling cutters.
WALTER launches the world's first fully automatic tool grinding machineon the market
- Establishment of the first subsidiary outside Germany.
- Furthersubsidiaries are founded in Europe soon afterwards.
- WALTER launches the world's first NC-controlled tool grinding machine on the market: helitronic 20 NC/LIP2.
WALTER opens its first branch outside Europe in the USA: Walter Grinders USA in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Transformation of the company into a joint stock company.
The new name: Walter AG.
With the HELITRONIC POWER, WALTER sets a new benchmark in tool grinding technology. The HELITRONIC POWER is still produced today - ina design that has been modified several times.
- Establishment of subsidiary in Kuřim, Czech Republic.
- Beginning of construction on a production facility.
With the HELITRONIC POWER DIAMOND and its unique"Two-in-One" concept, it is now possible to erode ANDgrind on one machine for the first time.
- With the foundation of its own branch in Japan, WALTER now has aworldwide sales and service network.
- Introduction of theHELITRONIC VISION high-precision tool grinding machine with linear drives.
- The machine tool division at Walter AG becomes part of the Schleifring Group, today known as the UNITED GRINDING Group.
- Our new name: Walter Maschinenbau GmbH.
Relocation to new company headquarters in Jopestraße, Tübingen
- Collaboration with our sister company Ewag AG in Etziken, Switzerlandis intensified, to enable us to offer our customers a complete range of tool machining services in future.
- Grinding, eroding, laser machining, measuring, software and services from a single source!
- The Schleifring Group becomes the UNITED GRINDING Group (2013).
- The new machine design of the UNITED GRINDING Group will be presented at the EMO in Hanover (2013).